Sunday, October 6, 2013

Adventures in Coaching

I spent practically my entire life being an athlete until I went to college.  Somehow, when I went to college I ended up with a lot of new friends (including the man I married) who just didn't really care about sports.  It really bummed me out for quite a while.  I felt like I had lost the biggest part of myself. I tried to make the most of it, though.  I was able to explore my musical talent and start many other hobbies as well.  However, I still missed sports so much.

I knew that going to school for being a teacher could eventually lead to a coaching position as well.  I won't lie; it was one of the many reasons I wanted to be a teacher at all.  I was raised by a coach, and I couldn't wait to do it myself.  However, as I got closer to graduation, I also started realizing that a coaching position was not guarunteed with a teaching position.  Heck, a teaching position wasn't even guarunteed.

After graduation, I started applying for every job that was within in driving distance, and the possibility of coaching was far from my mind.  I just wanted a job.  Finally, I was called for my first interview at Switzerland County High School.  During the interview, I was just trying to give the best answers, but then I was asked if I would be willing to be involved in extra-curriculars.  This was my chance! I told the principal I would be glad to be a coach.  Then he asked if I could coach soccer, football, or basketball, and my dreams were crushed.  I didn't know a thing about any of those sports.  Volleyball and softball were where my expertise (sort of) was.  I still wanted the job though, so I let it go. Two days later, I had another interview with Switzerland County, but this time at the middle school.  This time, I made it clear that I was interested in extra-curriculars from the get go.  However, it still seemed unlikely that they needed me for anything.  Despite the lack of coaching options, I was hired to be an English teacher at the middle school.  I was estatic to have a job, but it seemed like I had to let coaching go for now.

However, a couple weeks before school started, I got a call from the high school athletic director.  He said that he'd have a volleyball position open for me.  I would only be an assisstant, so I wouldn't get paid, but I wasn't worried about that.  This meant that I could learn how to coach with much less pressure.

Now we're near the end of our season, and it has certainly been a roller coaster ride.  Sometimes, when the girls' attitudes are really flaring, I'm reminded of why I mostly hung out with boys in high school.

No comments:

Post a Comment