Well, my girls have played their last two conference games. It happened a week ago, but I've been sans internet for a week. On Monday, they played an amazing match against Milan. It was easy to see that they wanted the win and were going to do whatever they needed to do to get it. We even battled against one of the least favored officials in the area. Despite that set back, the girls worked together and pulled of the win, making it seem effortless. After that game, we were guaranteed at least a share in the conference championship.
Then came the Southwestern game. It was a big deal to the girls because it decided outright conference championship. It was a big deal to me because I graduated from Southwestern, and every thing I know about volleyball came from their coach. It is incredibly hard to play against them because any other time, I want them to succeed. I also really wanted the win, though. I wanted to prove to my former coach that I had learned well and was now passing on my knowledge to a new group. He had also (playfully) chastised me for my losing squad at the beginning of the year. This was of course before we ended up with a record nearly as good as their's.
The girls fought hard and even won a set, but Southwestern fought a little harder and won the match. Our girls were dejected, but we tried to pick them up. We'll probably be playing in next week in Sectionals after all. I'm still so proud of what my team has accomplished this year. No one expected volleyball to win a game, let alone a conference championship. It's amazing what can happen when you're fighting to prove everyone wrong.
No comments:
Post a Comment